GVI is a multi-award winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run sustainable development programs in 13+ countries worldwide, all of which are aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
As a GVI field assistant in Puerto Morelos, Mexico, you will work on the marine conservation project. You will have the opportunity to upgrade your dive skills, learn about the coral reef conservation program with hands on training, as well as get exposure specifically to the Mesoamerican coral reef ecosystem and the challenges it faces. You'll also get the chance to improve your leadership skills.
This is a 3 month position, where you'll assist with dive training, science training, as well as volunteer and base management, all in exchange for your food and accommodation. There will be several weekends off to explore Quintana roo, and stunning daily dives in the reefs of Puerto Morelos National Park. You'll also get involved with community outreach while on base so this really will be an incredibly fulfilling period of time in this beautiful, cultural community in Mexico!
- Science training: leading species identification dives; running
study sessions with new volunteers
- Assisting in EFR, OW, AOW, Rescue and DM courses as required
- Training volunteers in daily and weekly base duties
- Planning daily schedules with staff team
- General volunteer and intern management, providing guidance
and acting as a role model for others
- Minimum current PADI Dive Master (or higher / equivalent)
- Conversational level of Spanish (in order to interact with local
- partners for some activities)
- Experience in Marine Conservation (in order to deliver
presentations and training in turtle monitoring, fish ID, Coral ID,
- Hazards of the reef, Coral Bleach, etc)